Professor in Energy Engineering
Phone number: +34 91 624 9935
Office: 1.1.D.18 (Edificio Betancourt, Campus Leganes)
I am a Ramón y Cajal Professor (tenure-track) at the Department Thermal and Fluid Engineering of the University Carlos III of Madrid. I am also currently leading the research line Water-Energy Nexus of the Department.
I received my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Crete (2005) and my Ph.D. in Energy Engineering from the Technical University of Berlin (2010). I have worked as a researcher in Germany, Spain and Greece holding European Fellowships (Marie-Curie Actions, 2006-2018).
My work focuses on the simulation and optimization of energy conversion processes using thermodynamic, economic and environmental criteria. The energy conversion processes I study include, among others, renewable- and fossil-based power plants,biofuel generation processes and zero-emission energy processes (including CO2 capture).
My research lines include:
Energy islands: Regional renewable energy autonomy for social and environmental benefits,
The Water-Energy Nexus: Estimation of present and future water use in conventional, renewable and hybrid power plants and water minimization strategies,
Simulation of novel hybrid and other advanced energy conversion systems (also for polygeneration),
Exergy-based methods: Application of thermodynamic, economic and environmental analyses for efficiency maximization and costs and environmental impact minimization and
Development of new tools for energy system optimization, automatization and digitalization of data.
I have taught courses on heat transfer and the optimization of thermodynamic systems and have supervised a large number of bachelor and master theses. I have been honoured with a best paper award and my Ph.D. thesis was chosen as one the three best in Germany by RWE AG. I am the author of various journal articles and book chapters and have participated in numerous international conferences and workshops.
- Ph.D. in Energy Engineering, Technical University of Berlin, Germany, 2010
- Dipl.-Ing. in Mechanical Engineering (Production Engineering and Management), Technical University of Crete, Greece, 2005
PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE
- Research associate, National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 2013-2015
- Lecturer, Technical University of Crete, Greece, 2013-2014
- Post-doctoral researcher, Institute IMDEA Energy, Spain, 2011-2013
- Consulting activities, Shell Global Solutions International BV, Germany, 2012
- Consulting activities, Nagarjuna Fertilizers and Chemicals Limited, Germany, 2009
- Pre-doctoral research assistant, Technical University of Berlin, Germany, 2006-2010
- Teaching assistant, Technical University of Berlin, Germany, 2005-2010
- Ramón y Cajal, Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad, Gobierno de España (2017), Score 100/100
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action COFUND, European Commission’s Seventh Framework Programme (2015-2018)
- Juan de la Cierva, Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad, Gobierno de España (2016)
- Marie Curie Action Intra-European Individual Fellowship (PEOPLE-IEF), European Commission’s Seventh Framework Programme (2013-2015)
- Marie Curie Action COFUND, European Commission’s Seventh Framework Programme (2011-2013)
- For completing the Dissertation studies from the Technical University of Berlin (Promotionsabschlussstipendium der Frauenbeauftragte) (2010)
- INSPIRE Marie Curie Research Training Network MRTN-CT-2005-019296, European Commission’s Sixth Framework Programme (2006-2009)
PRIZES AND AWARDS
- Award of Best Presentations at the 1st Workshop of IMDEA Energy (December 2012)
- Who’s Who in the World (30th Pearl Anniversary Edition 2012)
- Finalist (among the three best Ph.D. dissertations in Germany) of the Prize of the Future awarded by RWE AG. (Zukunftpreis), 2011; Committee: A. Fitting, I. Alpheus, D. Moest, A. Hartmann, M. Kuehn
- Best paper delivered at the International Conference on Optimization Using Exergy-Based Methods and Computational Fluid Dynamics, 2009; Committee: D. Moorhouse (Air force Research Laboratories, USA), G. Tsatsaronis (Technical University of Berlin, Germany), R. Weber (Technical University of Clausthal, Germany)
Selected publications (For full list see here)
Since 2010, I have published 33 peer-reviewed journal papers. I am the first author in 26 of these papers and sole author in 3 (four more are currently in preparation). I have also published 2 chapters in books, 5 technical reports and written 2 sets of lecture notes.
Gonzalez-Gomez P.A., Petrakopoulou F., Briongos J.V., Santana D., 2017. Cost-based design optimization of the heat exchangers in a parabolic trough concentrating solar power planta, Energy 123, 314-325.
Petrakopoulou F., 2016. On the economics of stand-alone renewable hybrid power plants in remote regions, Energy Conversion and Management 118, 63-74.
Petrakopoulou F., Robinson A., Loizidou M., 2016. Simulation and analysis of a stand-alone solar-wind and pumped-storage hydropower planta, Energy 96, 676-683.
Petrakopoulou F., Sanz-Bermejo J., Dufour J., Romero, M., 2016. Exergetic Analysis of Hybrid Power Plants with Biomass and Photovoltaics Coupled with a Solid-Oxide Electrolysis System, Energy 94, 304-315.
Peters J., Petrakopoulou F., Dufour J. 2015. Exergy analysis of synthetic biofuel production via fast pyrolysis and hydroupgrading, Energy 79, 325-336.
Petrakopoulou F., Tsatsaronis G., 2014. Can Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage from Power Plants Reduce the Environmental Impact of Electricity Generation, ACS Energy & Fuels, 28(8), 5327 5338.
Petrakopoulou F., Lee Y.D., Tsatsaronis G., 2014. Simulation and Exergetic evaluation of CO2 capture in a solid oxide fuel cell combined cycle power planta, Applied Energy 114, 417-425.
Petrakopoulou F., Tsatsaronis G., Morosuk T., 2012. Advanced exergoenvironmental analysis of a near-zero emission power plant with chemical looping combustion, Environmental Science and Technology 46, pp. 3001-3007.
Petrakopoulou F., Tsatsaronis G., 2012. Production of hydrogen-rich fuels for pre-combustion carbon capture in power plants: A thermodynamic assessment, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37 (9), pp. 7554-7564.
Petrakopoulou F., Tsatsaronis G., Morosuk T., Carassai A., 2012. Conventional and advanced exergetic analyses applied to a combined cycle power planta, Energy 41 (1), pp. 146-152.
Petrakopoulou F., Boyano A., Cabrera M., Tsatsaronis G., 2011. Exergoeconomic and exergoenvironmental analyses of a combined cycle power plant with chemical looping technology, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 5 (3), pp. 475-482.